Friday 24 February 2012

Needles & New Life

We've had a very eventful couple of weeks, I think its best to start with the bad and end on a high.

Firstly we had immunisations... This is never a good thing, two big needles in each leg. Now Andrea already knew she wouldn't handle it very well so had to turn away and get me to hold Tyler while he had them done. It is a very horrible experience and I feel sorry for the nurse who has to do this on a daily bases.

It goes against every instinct you have to watch someone harming your child. Andrea got teary and after explained how horrible she felt and continually felt like the pain he suffered was her fault. I tried to stay very realistic about it and understand that although it has hurt him for the moment, he is crying and very scared, we need to comfort him as they will be good for him in the long run.

I said to Andrea that I would rather see him in pain and be ratty for a day or two, rather than in a couple months maybe years, see him in a hospital bed seriously ill!

For the next couple days he did seem very scared, slightly uncomfortable and very jumpy. Gradually it has gone away and he is more smiley than ever, the whole situation has passed him by and were not even convinced he remembers it at all. The only down side to all this is in 4 weeks time he has to have 2 more injections, then 4 weeks after that another 3.

On the upside when the doctor was doing her checks and making sure he was okay we were very chuffed with what she told us, everything was fine and working as it should and Tyler was quote; "Perfect. He is a model baby". That for us felt really reassuring knowing everything was okay and we were doing everything right.

Also on top of all this yesterday I became an uncle for the second time! Babies everywhere at the moment! I will get to meet my new nephew for the first time tonight, I will be interested to see if my brother and his girlfriend endure any of the same or similar things we have over the past 8 weeks or so, also how they deal with thing different to us and the results it achieves.

Thank you for following my journey, please do comment, share and follow, help me to reach as many other dads, dads-to-be as possible to continue to help others with my experiences and hopefully soon much more!

I look forward to seeing you all next week. (Metaphorically of course)

1 comment:

  1. done it again good words and well put,its better to have needles now than him suffer in later life.i know people read your blogs but dont put comments,keep this up its interesting.xx

    ReplyDelete