Friday 20 January 2012

Colic & Smiles

Just when I thought I was getting to grips with baby screams and realising it doesn't mean they're in pain, Tyler managed to get colic. 


Colic
nounsevere, often fluctuating pain in the abdomen caused by intestinal gas or obstruction in the intestines and suffered esp. by babies.
In other words, baby screams and cries a hell of a lot more than usual, unfortunately there's not much you can do to help them immediately. Once we discovered what was wrong we got hold of some gripe water from the shop as quick as we could. Now you're not meant to use gripe water until the baby is a month old, but he was about 6 days away from being a month old and we were only planning on using drops. Now this helped, but not much.
Each scream seemed to last forever and the cries became unbearably upsetting at points to listen to and would come completely at random. One moment he's sitting there happy and the next its like he's been shot, his back arches, his face screws up and out belts this screech of pain.
You want to react, you want to hold him and make it all better, the worst part is knowing you can't, it becomes much harder at night, now not only trying to wake people up, but being half asleep feeding a screaming baby is extremely difficult to do, physically and mentally.
It has made it all that bit more exhausting, draining and difficult to adjust, But hope was not yet lost! My mum mentioned something I remember reading about on some forums on the internet, it's called 'Infacol'. We've found its not only cheaper than gripe water, but it has worked a load quicker and better too!
All the late nights and lack of sleep has really took its toll on both myself and my partner. We have been arguing more because of it and it has put a strain on the relationship, but at the end of the day we both have to remember, we are both very tired, hormones are still shooting round her body and will be for the first 6 months after birth, I'm am now also back at work and trying to find the balance between work and social which can be stressful. 
We are both to blame, but the key thing I have found that if both of us can do our best to stay calm, just talk and be open about what is bothering us, then 90% of the time we can have a positive outcome. 
Before I dump all over peoples wants for a family and children, it isn't all bad! Tyler is becoming a lot more alert now he can see properly, his reactions are getting better, he's gradually starting to smile more.
Without trying to sound too fruity, I've never felt as much warmth inside as I do when I see Tyler smile. It makes all the hard times and obstacles to overcome worth it just to see his smile.
It makes me determined to do all I can to keep that smile plastered on his face as he grows, and in return there will be a smile always with me too.
Thank you again for joining me on my journey through the 'ever-feared' parenthood.
Please do comment, talk to me, tell me your stories, your experiences, your advice, ask questions and we'll see how we can all help each other.
I'm currently looking at taking this blog to the next level over the coming months, but while I'm developing the idea's I don't want to give too much away and will let you know more as it progresses.
Thank You.

1 comment:

  1. hello Joe,put very well,wind is a bad thing with grown ups but in babies what can they do but cry and as the pain gets worse they scream its not nice for baby and for mum and dad well you just have to be patient. every ones opinion is different,all will be good in the end.you will argue and fall out as every ones opinion is different,as long as you make up.you will look back on this and wonder what the fuss was all about,more good times than bad,keep up the good work both as a dad and partner to andreaxx

    ReplyDelete